Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home for Thanksgiving

I always begin posts the same way it seems - by realizing (and apologizing) for not updating sooner. It's the reason I haven't really publicized this blog yet; until I get into the routine of updating. So here goes another "failed" attempt. I am sitting at BWI airport at six am on Tuesday before Thanksgiving - Super Shuttle picked me up at oh about four thirty. Thrilling. Gotta remember how much I dislike early flights - yawns.

Anyway so the last few weeks have been pretty busy. We had all of our conferences in our five regions. There's the small dollar fundraiser (do I actually have to dress up for this?) on Dec.2nd, and then of course the annual mailer (which is a gigantic mail merging pain in the a**). Then there's this new think impact program we're running to incentivise local work on the chapter level, trainings to schedule, materials to send out, a Copenhagan story arc to finalize (by Dec.15th), then there's a staff retreat in January and a exclusive writing conference with Mr. Bowman Cutter (from the Obama transition team and Carter/Clinton Administrations) also that same weekend in January (oh boy travel arrangements). We have new interns coming in, we have at least two (up to four) journals/publications we're soliciting for and planning the roll-out for - not to mention stuff that hasn't even officially been decided upon yet, and internal logistics like staff transitions.

Oh boy oh boy - anyway so that's the work life.

I recently went to Philly to visit a Midd friend/alum who lives outside the city. She and her husband put me up and I went to some law school classes with her and a bible study - both truly interesting experiences. One made me more curious and the other reaffirmed my beliefs, of why I am not religious - at all. Period. But still - worthy of my time for sure.

We also went to the new national constitution hall - a frekin' awesome exhibit - omg. I highly recommend it: I got so caught up there that by the time we ate in Reading Terminal Market, I barely had time to see the liberty bell before leaving. Clearly Independence Hall is the first thing on my list for next time. I also ate a cheesesteak at one of the most racist restaurants ever - well in my life. It had "only serving americans," "speak english/order only in english" signs EVERYWHERE. sigh. It was a decent sandwich, although honestly, I've had better tasting ones, maybe they were not authentic I don't know.
We also walked around 9th Street/Italian Market Street; interesting. And South Street down to the Delaware River - saw all those cool murals etc etc. I would say I'd upload pictures - but honestly my track record on even text posting is pretty horrendous....so we'll see if that everrrr happens. Facebook has some pictures - if you want to do that.

And that wraps up this little ramble - more during the holiday. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment